Howard is the head of costs for Keoghs National costs team and leads a niche team handling high-value costs claims, providing strategic advice and conducting strategic litigation.
Keoghs National Costs Team is ranked in Tier 1 of Legal 500 and Tier 2 of Chambers Litigation Support where Howard is recognised as a ‘Leading individual’. Testimonials include:
- ‘Howard Dean heads the team and has a great wealth of experience which he applies with great effect.’
- ‘He has an excellent strategic and tactical sense.’
Howard has represented parties in many notable appeals including 4 in the Court of Appeal:
- Seabrook v Adam  EWCA Civ 382 – interpretation of Part 36 offers
- AKC v Barking, Havering & Redbridge University NHS Trust  EWCA Civ 630 – information required to be included in a bill of costs
- Santiago v Motor Insurers’ Bureau  EWCA Civ 838 – Recoverability of Interpreter fees
Tabbit v Clark  EWCA Civ 744 – QOCS protection
He is a member of our Sales Board and Market Affairs Team and has been heavily involved in civil justice reform working in partnership with our clients looking at key issues in the Costs Market and providing them with strategic advice and assistance.
Howard is Vice-President of FOIL (2023/24) and a member of the CPR and Costs Sector Focus Groups.